COVID-19: Keep up to date with the latest information via our Frequently Asked Questions. If you are experiencing a power cut or loss of supply, click here.

Get a quote

SSE Green Gas and SSE Green Gas Plus FAQs

SSE Green Gas and SSE Green Gas Plus FAQs

What value is there in having an SSE Green Gas contract?

When you upgrade to SSE Green Gas or SSE Green Gas Plus, you’ll be able to demonstrate your company’s renewable credentials, show your positive commitment to sustainable values and differentiate your business from competitors. You can use the SSE Green Gas or SSE Green Gas Plus logo and certificate in your marketing material and social media posts.

What’s the difference between SSE Green Gas and SSE Green Gas Plus?

SSE Green Gas is our more affordable offering: 25% certified renewable gas backed by RGGO or BMCs, with the remaining 75% backed by carbon offset projects to develop wind and hydro power generation abroad. To further reduce carbon at home, we also pledge to plant one tree in the UK for every SSE Green Gas customer.

SSE Green Gas Plus is our premium offering: simply 100% renewable gas backed by RGGOs or BMCs, with additional verification from EcoAct, an Atos company.

How do I know SSE Green Gas products are really green?

All the renewable gas we buy is backed by Renewable Gas Guarantees of Origin (RGGOs) and Biomethane Certificates (BMCs), so you can be sure it’s genuinely renewable.

SSE Green Gas is 25% renewable gas backed by RGGO or BMCs, plus 75% carbon offsets independently verified to international standards and approved by the Quality Assurance Standard (QAS).

SSE Green Gas Plus is 100% renewable gas backed by RGGO or BMCs, with additional verification from EcoAct, an Atos company.

What are RGGOs and BMCs?

Renewable Gas Guarantees of Origin (also known as RGGOs) or Biomethane Certificates (BMCs) are issued for every 1kWh of renewable gas that has been produced from accredited sources. This is a similar mechanism to the Renewable Energy Guarantees of Origin (REGOs) issued to renewable assets for the electricity they produce.

What are carbon offsets for SSE Green Gas?

Carbon offsetting is a way to invest in environmental projects around the world to compensate for, or offset, your carbon footprint. By helping to pay to reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) in other parts of the world, you balance out, or offset, the CO2 your business is calculated to produce from the natural gas you buy – that means your gas is carbon-neutral.

With SSE Green Gas, you’ll get 25% certified renewable gas. The remaining 75% is carbon-neutral gas that’s offset by projects to develop wind and hydro power generation abroad, which cut global CO2 emissions. Organised by Carbon Footprint Ltd, a leading carbon offsetting company, all the carbon offsets we buy are independently verified to international standards.

Learn more about carbon offsetting

To further cut carbon at home, we also pledge to plant one tree per SSE Green Gas customer in the UK – native species that help to preserve our environment and biodiversity.

Learn more about UK tree planting

Why are you using carbon offsets for one of your renewable gas products?

Demand for 100% renewable gas is growing, which is great news. But right now demand is outstripping supply, which means the price has increased. So we've introduced carbon offsets to allow as many businesses as possible to go green.

Why are you supporting carbon offset projects abroad instead of those based in the UK?

All carbon offsets are traceable and recorded on a registry. But carbon offset projects here at home don't count towards offsetting because the UK has signed up to the Kyoto Protocol. All the UK's carbon emissions savings and projects are already accounted for within this agreement. That's why the projects we support are based abroad, typically in developing countries that haven't signed up to the Kyoto Protocol. Reducing greenhouse gas emissions is a global issue after all.

But we also want to help to further reduce carbon at home. That's why we pledge to plant one tree in the UK for every SSE Green Gas customer.

Can I combine SSE Green Gas products with SSE Green Electricity?

Yes. Combining SSE Green Gas or SSE Green Gas Plus with SSE Green Electricity is a great way to show your commitment to sustainability.